Sunday, April 22, 2012

Next Project...

I've decided to be really creative and make yet another version of Simplicity 2638 (my other versions here and here). The creativity comes in with me actually following the pattern this time. Instead of shortening the dress to knee-length I'll make it ankle length as it was originally meant to be. Although I do plan to close up the opening at the back by extending the zipper up to the neckline, so I guess that's a small change.
I have a floral-patterned dotted swiss lawn from Fashion Fabric Club that I picked up for $2.80/yard on sale that's been hanging out in my stash for quite a while. At the moment it's seeming a bit drab to me, but then again, I don't necessarily want to wear really bright colors every day anyway:

I recently picked up some plain black cotton lawn ($3.98/yard) to line the inside, as the dotted swiss lawn is a bit see-through, and I'll use the black lawn for the waistband to provide some contrast and break up the floral pattern a bit. All together, this dress will run me about $20, but hopefully I'll have a nice, light, perfectly fitted maxi dress that should look something like this:

I cut everything out yesterday and today and sewed the bodice top and lining together. I'll probably work on it a bit at a time during the evenings this week and I hope to have it finished before next weekend. This pattern never takes much time to put together, but it just depends on how much energy I have left when I get home from work.

Now, if only I could find that perfect pair of comfortable black summer sandals that are a bit dressy but not formal. I have yet another order in at zappos, so maybe just maybe I'll find them this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment