Saturday, April 7, 2012

Simplicity 2444

Things weren't going quickly and easily enough for my vintage dress foray over spring break, so I decided to make something else that would go more smoothly (hopefully). I haven't had much time for sewing (or anything not related to work) over the last several weeks, and I didn't want to spend what little time I did have trying to figure out ways to fix huge fitting problems. I just wanted a simple, fun new dress. So I pulled out Simplicity 2444 and a cotton poplin I already had in my stash from Fabric.com ($2.49/yard on sale several months back). I decided on the simple, unadorned view:



Happily, everything did indeed go quite smoothly, for the most part. I saw several references on PatternReview to gapping of the front neckline, and I ended up with the same problem. To fix it, I put a small dart on either side of the center front (if I make this again, I'll modify the pattern itself to take out a wedge of fabric at the center front neckline).

I didn't really modify much else. I cut my typical 8 for the bodice and graded to a 12 at the waist. I put a small tuck in the pattern at the back neckline to prevent gapping in the back, and I had to shorten the skirt by 3". But those are all usual for me with Simplicity patterns. I skipped the invisible zipper this time (they were sold out at the store and I didn't want to wait), so I hand-picked the zipper instead. I kept the inside finishing really simple and mostly just made good use of my pinking shears. I used seam lace to hem the skirt and that seemed to help avoid the problem of easing in the fullness of the skirt.

I just finished the dress tonight, and it's being washed to remove the washable marker marks. I will hopefully have modeled pictures tomorrow. Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment