Sunday, October 30, 2011

Simplicity 2638, Take 3


While I love the second version of this dress, I'm really happy with the new third version as well. I've just about convinced myself that no one will ever really figure out that this is the same dress, even if I wear them on two adjacent days. In the photo above, I'm wearing a black shrug from the Limited. I think in fact I've missed the warm weather and this dress will have to wait for spring before it is worn (I was cold inside trying to get pictures today!) Here's a shot without the shrug:

I cut a size 8, but in addition to shortening the pattern significantly and color blocking the dress, I also added an inch to the shoulder straps on the front, because the second version of this dress has the empire waistband sitting on my bust, not below it. I also gathered the skirt evenly across the top, rather than putting all the gathering in the front over my stomach. I've noticed I tend to have a problem with gaping across the back of my shoulders, so I tucked out a smidge of fabric in the back at the neckline on both sides (maybe 1/4" on each side). I put in an invisible zipper and a hook-and-eye closure, rather than a lapped zipper and a button. Here's a shot of the back:

To keep the inside neat and tidy, I used french seams on two of the skirt seams. And I sewed my first blind hem on this skirt, which turned out quite nicely. I didn't have thread that exactly matched the skirt and I didn't want to run to the store, so a blind hem seemed the best way to minimize the color difference in thread and fabric along the hem. The colors are off in this picture, but it was the best one showing the details:

I dove into my stash of seam lace to tidy up the seam where the skirt attaches to the bodice, as I did with the second version of this dress. You can see the inside here as well as the invisible zipper.

I'm really quite proud of how this dress turned out and I wish I had gotten around to making it sooner while the weather was still warm enough to wear it. Seems like I need to switch to some more fall/winter appropriate sewing, but I may continue making cute summer dresses or skirts for a while since I know they will get a lot of use, even if I'll have to wait a few months before wearing them. Then again, I may curl up with a blanket on the couch and put more effort into my knitting instead. It's cold by my sewing machine. :P

1 comment:

  1. Misty! Love your two new dresses. You're having a lot of fun, you seamstress you! Nice work :) Love the denim linen...great color on you. Love you much, Mom

    ReplyDelete