I'm visiting my parents right now, and I had asked my mom if she still had any sewing stuff laying around that she would be willing to part with. She used to sew, back when I was little, but has long since stopped. So she said she'd look around.Lo and behold, here is what I will be taking home with me! Apparently, someone in the distant past (my parents can't remember who) gave my mom a huge stash of sewing notions, most of which are still sitting here in their original packaging. I remember using some of the seam lace for random craft projects when I was little, but didn't realize how much there was. I'm already inspired to use some of the red seam lace on the inside hem of my Crepe dress, which I conveniently haven't hemmed yet. I'm sure I can put some of these other fun colors to use on projects that I have planned for the near future as well. I may have to get creative with the use of some of these other pieces (orange zippers and thread anyone??) but that could be a fun challenge for me to take on as I plan my next projects.
I've almost finished the shawl collar on my Blackberry cardigan. It's been duly admired by my mom and my friend Jodi, so it's time for it to be finished so I can have it be admired by the rest of the world. That's my goal for today (the last few days have been pleasantly goal-free!) so that I can soak it and lay it out to dry so it will be finished when I leave tomorrow afternoon. I need to stretch the sleeves a bit when I lay it out, but other than that, I'm happy about how it's coming together. I'll need to find some nice buttons for it when I get home. Maybe some wooden buttons...
When I go shopping for buttons, I'll also be hitting the JoAnn's $1.99 Simplicity pattern sale this weekend, and I plan to pick up these patterns at the very least:
Simplicity 5914. I already have a khaki twill with a bit of stretch that I'll be using to make the short tulip version, or something similar anyway. I think it will be a nice casual skirt to wear to work over the summer when I don't have to dress up as much. And I have a really pretty black and gray light suiting to make the short A-line version.
Simplicity 2208. I really like the hooded version, not so much the other two. I wear fleece jackets often when the weather is cold, especially for just bumming around the house in the evening or on weekends. So I might as well spend some time on something I know I will wear!
Simplicity 2206 (won't be on sale, but only $3.50 anyway). Also in keeping with trying to sew things I will actually wear. I wear a lot of knits but have been a bit hesitant to try to sew with them. Since this is supposed to be an easy pattern, maybe it's a good place to start. And I always need little cardigans and jackets when the weather starts to warm up because the air conditioning in businesses tends to be turned up higher than I can handle. I'm thinking gray, because it would be a nice neutral color.It's really too bad that the pattern sale doesn't include New Look patterns, because I've just discovered them and have my eye on several! Maybe I'll toss one or two in since they're not too expensive. In particular:
New Look 6375. I like the modeled version (though not for work), but I especially like view D with the draped bodice. I could see making several dresses from this pattern to wear during the awful Georgia summers. Might as well get started on some soon so I have them when the humidity and heat arrive.
New Look 6643. A nice cool linen would make this great for work during the summer too. I could stretch it into fall with cardigans or jackets. I could also see myself making multiple versions of this dress.That's probably enough planning for now. I have a lot of sewing to do to catch up with all my plans! I'm headed home Thursday and should have a bit of time over the weekend to hem my Crepe dress (and possibly take the side seams in a bit more on the bodice) as well as start a new sewing project. I haven't yet decided what I will make next, but I have lots of fun options.
No comments:
Post a Comment