After last weekend's long nights of below-freezing temperatures and forced insomnia on top of a mountain in Arizona, I returned home to find that spring had arrived in my absence. We have flowers (and lots and lots of weeds) popping up in various locations around our rental house. I had lunch outside in the sunshine on Friday and thoroughly enjoyed it, although I think I had the tiniest bit of a sunburn on my arms the next day. Today was a little cooler than the last few days and also overcast, so James and I spent a solid 3 hours working in the yard -- him with the lawn mower, and me attacking the weeds and pruning the various shrubs. The yard looks MUCH better now. :)I started working on my next sewing project, Simplicity 5914. I'm making view B, the short tulip skirt, out of a beige cotton twill with a bit of lycra for stretch (ordered from Fashion Fabrics Club, my new favorite fabric store).
I cut everything out today and basted all the seams to check the fit. I have what is known as an "I" shape (= little waist definition), so I cut a 10 to fit my hips but graded up to a 12 at the waist based on the flat pattern measurements. It seems to fit pretty well at the waist, but I may need to tweak the shaping of the hips just a bit. I'll check the fit again tomorrow and then finalize the seams. This is a super quick pattern, and I'm sure I can finish this up easily in another evening or two, although I do have to go pick up some hook and eye closures. Right now, it's looking too long, so I'll probably have to chop a bit of length off the bottom. Should be a nice comfortable skirt that can be dressed up and dressed down.I also have a lightweight wool to make view F, and I could see myself making a few additional versions of this in the near future as well. Since starting my new job, I've realized I don't have enough work-appropriate items in my wardrobe to deal with all of the weather fluctuations throughout the year. I'm hoping to make a handful of skirts for the spring and summer, and I have a few simple dress patterns that I'm hoping to whip up as well. Whatever it takes to survive the humid Georgia summers!
I never really wore skirts and dresses very much.. until Atlanta! It's amazing how quickly they become necessary here! Very cute skirt, you have me tempted to try it too! :)
ReplyDelete