Sunday, July 29, 2012

We've Moved!

I hate moving.  Possibly because this is the 15th time I have moved in the last 14 years.  Moving into and out of the dorms each year in college each year really racked that number up quickly, but there are three moves across the country hiding in there too.  And every time, it seems like there is more stuff to move, although now that I'm married, there is definitely a lot more stuff because there are two of us contributing to the number of boxes.  Furthermore, these moves ALWAYS happen during the hottest months of the year.

This was the biggest move yet, possibly on the hottest day yet, and I'm still recovering.  But, now that this move is basically accomplished --- all our stuff is at the new house, just some cleaning left at the rental --- I'm hoping this is the last time I have to move for many years to come. 

There's still lots to do.  We have boxes everywhere, not even necessarily in the rooms where they belong, and we barely got our bed put together last night before we collapsed into it.  Most of the furniture is scattered helter-skelter, and we have a new couch we need to go pick up today.  But maybe by tonight, we'll have our new sofa and the TV set up and we can turn into zombies for a few hours and just relax every muscle in our bodies (including our brains!).

The most fun part of this was the moment when we let our cat out of her locked room so she could start exploring her new home too.  She very cautiously explored every room, but wouldn't come down the stairs to the ground floor for a while.  She's quite comfortable with her surroundings now, and has taken to lounging on one of the middle steps of the staircase.  Not like the last time we moved, when she was scared of the ceiling fan and hid under the covers in the bed for a whole week!

The next several weeks will be filled with unpacking, but now that we're here, we can take our time.  Right this moment, I don't feel like touching boxes, but we have other stuff we need to do first today anyway.  So I guess we can mark this down as a successful move since we're here and nothing valuable or irreplaceable was broken.  Hooray for low standards!  :)

1 comment:

  1. Loved your honest post, Mist! Chuckled throughout while reading it to Dad :) Cal seems content, yea! Enjoy settling in without the deadlines beating you over the head. Look forward to visiting and roaming throughout your great big house! Love you both. Sleep tight in your new home :)

    ReplyDelete