Saturday, January 12, 2013

New home and dress form and knitting, oh my!


My, it has been a while since I've posted anything.  Well, we bought a house (cute, isn't it?) and that started taking up a good bit of my time.  You know, the whole packing for the move, the move, the unpacking, the decorating.  We're still not done, although most of the boxes that are left at this point are organized and stored in the room over the garage.  I still have only hung one picture on the wall, but it no longer looks like we moved in a week ago.

I just noticed this picture of the house must have been taken before the previous owner painted the front door red.  It's even cuter with the red front door.

Of course, with a house comes the fun (headache?) of renovations and upgrades.  We had all the windows replaced, so I had the fun job of removing and then replacing all the window treatments, including the plantation shutters for all the windows on the ground floor.  You can see some of them in the picture below.


I have finally gotten back to some of my projects after getting the house mostly settled, and one that I'm very proud to have completed is my Uniquely You dressform.  I HATE (read "loathe") trying to fix fitting issues with pins sticking into my all over and stretching around funny to reach my back and taking weird pictures to figure out why it doesn't fit and trying to bribe my husband to pin things a certain way, then explaining four more times how to put the pin in the fabric so it will stay for more than 2 seconds.  I had to deal with all those issues to the ultimate level for this dress form, which is made of foam with a sheath that you fit to your body like a glove and then zip over the foam, compressing it to the correct shape.  I knew that's the way it worked, I accepted it, I worked on the sheath for months off and on, agonizing over getting it perfect, and finally got it "good enough" to finish up and zip on my form just last week.  Ta da!  I'm hoping the fabulous results will make my life 1000 times simpler when I pick up my next sewing project.

But that's not all!  I have done some knitting recently as well.  I've finished two projects, one that I started quite a while ago and one that was started and completed over the holidays.  I'm a good bit of the way through my next project as well, but the yarn is very fine, so it will take me a while to finish.

All these projects are from Interweave Knits winter 2011.  First up is the Leif Slipover.  Too bad it's been a really warm winter here in Georgia, I haven't been able to wear it yet.  I left off the hood and just knitted a garter stitch collar.


Next is the Briar Rose Tunic, which I shortened to a regular sweater length.  I have worn this, but didn't get any modeled pictures.  It probably won't be warm enough for really cold days, but should be good for those chilly-bordering-on-cold days.


The pictures are a bit fuzzy because it's hard to get the cable details to show up with the flash on.  Hopefully some outdoor modeled shots will turn out better.

And finally, I've started the Fauna Pullover, but have only gotten a bit past the center front division.  I love how the cables and lace are turning out.


The color is darker than in the picture.  It's a really deep, beautiful blue.  Strangely enough, I seem to be the only person on Ravelry not making this particular sweater in a shade of red.

I'm hoping to have slightly more regular posts showing that I have fun new projects.  :)  We'll see how it goes!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the new home! What a busy way to start 2013 - your knitting looks super, don't know where you found the time. Your new dress form will be sooooo handy once you are back into sewing...has she a name yet???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judith! She does have a name, but it will require some explanation. I didn't change my name when we married, and because of that, many people are confused about how to address mail to myself and my husband. We get all manner of guesses on our mail (it's still just the names we've always had!!). I named her Mrs. Tran so that when mail arrives addressed to Mrs. Tran, there's actually someone in the house by that name!

      Delete