Sunday, June 12, 2011

Refashion: Colette Crepe Dress --> Wrap Skirt

Remember this dress? It has hung in my closet ever since I finished it. I've never worn it because the bodice was uncomfortable and just didn't seem to hang properly. I loved the skirt and the pockets, but I was never convinced that the overall style was all the flattering.

I was inspired by this post from Tasia at Sewaholic.net to take matters into my own hands, keeping the things I loved about this dress and getting rid of the drawbacks that were keeping me from wearing it. I removed the skirt from the bodice, turned under the waistline to finish the edge, and added some ties to the ends to turn it into this wrap skirt:

I refashioned this a couple of weeks ago, and I've worn it twice already (actually remembered to get pictures of it today after work, although not outside because it's yucky and I'm already covered in mosquito bites).

So why did it take me 4 months to come up with this idea?

Well, at first I thought I was being too picky and that I should just get over myself and enjoy my new dress. I tried it on again recently and I just couldn't stand the bodice. I knew it would drive me nuts all day long if I did wear it. I'd constantly be tugging at it and worrying over it.

Then I was annoyed with myself for having spent so much time on it and still not being happy with how it turned out. I was slightly embarrassed too, which is just plain silly, but I am a perfectionist by nature and I'm never happy when the final outcome is just ok. Other people said "oh, that's so cute!" but I knew it wasn't quite right.

Finally, I did get over myself and I'm much happier with the final result! I may eventually abandon the ties and put in two buttonholes and buttons to keep it wrapped properly, but this was a really quick refashion as it is now and it works fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment