Friday, January 14, 2011

First day of school

I was pleasantly surprised at the number of students that made it to class today. Of course, now that we've actually met once, we have a three day weekend for Martin Luther King Jr day! The university has decided not to extend the semester, so we all have to squish our classes into a shorter semester now.

I've been shopping on fabric.com this evening looking for a cute (and inexpensive) cotton print to make a maxi dress for summer with Simplicity 2638. Unfortunately I'm not sure what I want, which really makes it hard. :P I was looking for a larger scale print since it's a lot of fabric, and I finally settled on this:




Just for good measure, I also threw this in my basket for Simplicity 2588:




I want to make the view with the full skirt and no sleeves (similar to the white with black polka dot line drawing). Not sure where I will wear this, but I'm sure I can come up with some place once the weather gets hot here again. And if those purple shoes that I ordered work out, I'll have a whole new cute purple outfit. Now that I have all these sewing plans I need to spend some time this weekend working on my sewing skills!

I made some progress on sleeve two of my purple cardigan (apparently I'm going through a purple phase right now) the other day but I still have some work to do. I had to rip back about 6" when I found a mistake. My knitting is slower than it should be because I can't let a mistake go, I always have to correct it.

I started reading a new book on the train on the way to work. It's a biography of Grace Kelly (who I know very little about) and is actually quite good so far. Makes me want to track down some of her movies at the library. If anyone has any good biographies (another phase I'm going through), feel free to suggest them. Or any other good books you can think of, I sometimes run out of ideas for books to read.

1 comment:

  1. Purple phase! I love purple :) Dad said to tell you "there's a saying for that...'when I am old, I shall wear purple.'" Old? Forget it. Fifty-something is thirty revitalized :) Love you! Have fun sewing and knitting!

    ReplyDelete