Sunday, October 23, 2011

FO and next project

After fiddling and tweaking and fiddling some more, I've decided that I'm finished with this version of New Look 6643. I had to redraft the top of the pattern since the smallest size is a 10 and I'm closer to an 8. While that helped a lot, it still wasn't quite right and required some extra work to get it to fit properly. I've gotten it close and decided for now, it's close enough.
Any further changes would likely have to be done to the pattern before cutting it out. And I'm tired of fiddling with this project, frankly. Pictures coming tomorrow, hopefully.

I'm planning to make another version (third time's a charm, right?), but not yet. Although I'm determined to finish editing this pattern to get a basic sheath dress pattern I can rely on, right now I need a project that will be finished much more quickly and not give me so much trouble. And while the summer weather is probably gone for good around here, I can still wear this next project with a light sweater on our warmer fall days. So up next is Simplicity 2638 again, because I've made it before, it goes really quickly, I know it fits, and it's a dress I wore quite a lot over the summer. But this time, I'm color blocking the dress so that hopefully it will look completely different and my coworkers won't realize I've made the same dress twice.

I bought some inexpensive poly/cotton broadcloth at fabric.com a while ago with this dress in mind ($10 total fabric cost). The top will be white, with a black waistband and an azure-ish colored skirt. I'm sticking with a knee-length skirt, rather than the full length that is drafted in the pattern. And I'm going to substitute the lapped zipper for an invisible zipper this time. It should end up looking something like this:

And hopefully I'll have it done later this week. If so, you'll know about it because I'll post pictures. It will be nice to have a quick finished product, rather than spending a month scratching my head, ripping out, resewing, ripping out, thinking, etc. Work is challenging enough that I don't really want a sewing challenge right now. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment