Sunday, February 13, 2011

Domestic weekend

We were quite the picture of domesticity here today. While James was out in the garage changing the oil in the car this afternoon, I was busily employed inside with my sewing machine. I had fallen behind on Gertie's Crepe sewalong, since last weekend I used all my sewing time on my Pendrell blouse. I didn't think I would completely catch up on the Crepe dress today, but I am a bit amazed at how far I did get. I sewed the waist ties, attached the neckline facing, sewed several of the skirt panels together with french seams, and finished the edges of the pockets. Really, all that's left is to sew the side seams and pockets on the skirt, finish the back edges of the skirt, and then attach the skirt and bodice and finish the hem. I'm wondering if I'll have the energy or brain cells left one evening this week to work on it. Chances are, the answer will be no. But we'll see.

I've found that Sunday afternoon is the best time for me to sew, because I've generally had a chance to get a little rest on Saturday and I'm not feeling so entirely fried. Unfortunately, though, Sunday afternoon just never seems to last long enough!

I've decided I want to make a gray wool plaid skirt, something a bit like this but in a beautiful dove gray color:
I think that it would look very cute with the vintage 3-hour sweater pattern that I plan to knit up at some point in the near future. All the reviews on ravelry say that it takes more than 3 hours, but even if it takes 6 that will still be a lot fewer than my recent knitting projects have required. Here are a few of the finished versions I've seen that I really like:


blomsterbona's sweater
sweetbeanbag's sweater

I have two hanks of Cascade Yarns Sierra that I recently ordered and are now just sitting around waiting for me:
I don't normally wear much pink, but I've been choosing red yarn and purple yarn too often and I needed a new color in my wardrobe. I thought the pink was fun and cheerful and would be nice for spring. Let's see if I can actually make this sweater in time to wear it before the Georgia summer arrives with all its awfulness...

1 comment:

  1. You're really coming along great on learning to sew! Good for you :) Looking forward to seeing you and some of your finished projects - either in your suitcase or via photos when done with them! Hugs to you and James...Happy Sweethearts Day. Can't wait to see you and get a Misty hug! XO, Mom

    ReplyDelete