
Many of the students taking my class are fulfilling a science requirement. That means that it's very likely that my class is the last science class they will ever take in their lives. Their future understanding of science and scientists may be shaped during their 14 weeks with me. Since this is Georgia, it's very likely that the vast majority of my students attend church and will continue to do so throughout their lives.
I make sure that we go over the definition of science and what science can and cannot do. I try to make it clear that science is dynamic, each day brings new questions and new discoveries. I try to point out that I am a scientist, and I am not an old man with crazy hair who spouts incomprehensible equations day and night. I also try to point out instances of historical astronomers who were also religious -- like Georges Lemaitre, the Catholic priest who came up with the idea of the Big Bang (yes, you read that right). As often as religious people and scientists are in conflict with each other, Religion and Science do not conflict because they don't actually overlap. Religion is not testable, and Science can't answer the question "Why?"
I was really happy to see the recent articles on Space.com addressing the issues of Science and Religion: How Astronomy and Religion Intersect Part 1 and Part 2. The Catholic Church has a long and colorful history of scientists within its ranks, as well as other scientists outside its ranks, and it is refreshing to read these two articles that present a balanced view of the history along with documented facts (rather than opinions). Especially as Space.com is dedicated to keeping up with the state-of-the-art in all things space-related.
For those of you who are interested in the Age of the Universe question specifically, I think this brief but very clear Official Statement perfectly sums up my professional opinion on the matter.
No comments:
Post a Comment