Thursday, December 29, 2011

Progress

I've made some progress on Vogue 8555. I think it's coming together really nicely. So far the fit seems like it will be okay, which makes me very happy because the construction order for this dress will make it very hard to make any adjustments later on. I'm not quite sure when my zipper foot is supposed to arrive, but it looks like I'll get everything put together on this dress and end up letting it hibernate a bit while I wait. I'm planning to sew and attach the skirt today, and I'll baste in the zipper to check how everything fits.

I think this dress is going to look great when it's all done, and I was browsing Etsy last night and couldn't help purchasing this delicate mother-of-pearl and coral strand that I found:

The peach color of the coral should provide a really nice contrast to the aqua flowers in the dress, and will also probably go very nicely with my recently completed Simplicity 2177.

I have been making some progress with my knitting as well. I did indeed start with the Leif Slipover (see here). I had to pick up a set of size 17 circulars (the largest needle I had in my collection was a 15 and the swatch was just too small). It's not going as quickly as I had hoped because the pattern is quite intricate, but it is coming along. And one nice thing is that it's all knitted in one piece, so I don't have to worry about seaming the pieces together when I get to the end. I like that detail very much!

I was a bit worried that the yarn, being a bulky weight and not a super bulky weight, would be too thin and wouldn't look quite right, but it's giving a nice lacy effect with the cables. I think this will work out quite well. I have such a small frame that I look overwhelmed by chunky knits (and chunky necklaces; chunky anything really).

My yarn order hasn't arrived yet, but I'm waiting impatiently for it. Once it does arrive, I'll have that added incentive to finish this pullover so I can cast on for the Briar Rose Tunic.

I already have my next sewing project in mind. I picked up a copy of this vintage pattern from the 1960s in a size 10:

I have a green rayon/linen blend in my stash that I'm going to use to make view 2 (the mock-neck sleeveless dress without the waist tie). This will be my first foray into vintage patterns, but the dress looks simple enough that I think it should be fairly smooth sailing.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I love this vintage pattern, and I laud your knitting skills! I also wanted to let you know that you won my blog giveaway, so let me know your address and I will send you your prize! My email is leah.franqui@gmail.com, send it on over!

    ReplyDelete