I cut out a new dress today. I've decided to go with Vogue 8555 next and I'm using a floral stretch cotton poplin from fabric.com that's been sitting in my stash for a few months. I've decided to line the bodice only, and I'm using a nude-colored cotton lawn for that.I chose view B, which is the sheath with the shorter skirt. With my fabric, it should turn out looking something like this:
The scale of the floral pattern is probably a bit smaller than reality in this image. I wasn't sure about using this fabric, but figured I'd give it a shot. I really like the way the line drawing ended up with the pattern fill, so I'm hopeful this will work out. The colors are a bit different on the fabric than they appear here. The background is a dull white or pale ivory, not a bright white, and the stems and leaves are a dark brown, not black.The pattern calls for cotton sateen, broadcloth, or lightweight linen. I went looking around on the internet trying to figure out if poplin would work as well, since I'm still not all that sure about the differences between various cotton fabrics, and I discovered that poplin is basically the same thing as broadcloth these days. In fact, I found this article about shirting fabrics on a men's clothing website extremely helpful, and figured I'd put it here for future reference.
I cut out all the pieces and fused the interfacing for the waistband this evening. I'll start sewing tomorrow and I expect it should go fairly quickly. I don't have an invisible zipper foot for my Bernina yet, but I just ordered one and I'm hoping it will arrive soon. I don't think I'll be wearing this dress anywhere anytime soon, so if I get slowed down a bit waiting for the foot to arrive, it shouldn't really matter. I'll just work on something else in the meantime.
This is my first Vogue pattern. I used all the typical sizes I've found to work for Simplicity patterns (bust 8, waist 12, hips 10). The finished garment measurements showed quite a bit of ease for this dress, so I may find myself taking the seams in a bit, but I'll have to wait and see how it goes.
Love the bodice detail on this dress - looking forward to seeing your finished dress soon!!!
ReplyDelete