So after spending a month trying to get the fit just right on my last project, I needed something a little faster for a bit of immediate gratification. I decided to make another version of Simplicity 2638, hopefully one that would turn out a bit better than the last one and be something I could wear. For the first version of this pattern, I cut a size 10, which was actually a size smaller than called for according to my measurements. It was too big and I had gapping issues around the armscyes and at the back neckline. The fabric was also a bit too heavy for this pattern, and I didn't like having all the extra fabric gathered directly over my stomach.This time I trimmed the pattern down to a size 8. I had 3 yards of 44" wide royal blue lightweight cotton shirting with white pin dots that I had ordered from Fabric.com for $1.95/yard on sale.

I wanted to try a knee-length version this time, so 3 yards was plenty of fabric. And how did it turn out this time? I'm quite proud actually:
The inside almost looks as pretty as the outside! The pattern calls for lining the bodice, and since I had plenty of fabric, I did a self-fabric lining.
The waist seam (where the skirt is attached to the bodice) was pressed up, trimmed, and finished with royal blue seam lace.
I sewed French seams in the skirt, except for the back seam with the zipper. I pressed open that seam and bound the edges with single-fold bias tape (I didn't have royal, so I used some baby blue tape). I also didn't have a blue zipper or a white zipper on hand, so I used a dark purple zipper rather than run to the store. I hand picked the zipper and, since it's lapped, you can't really see it anyway.
Finally, I used a hook and eye at the top of the back seam, rather than a fabric loop and button. I only used about 2.5 yards of fabric, and all the required notions were in my stash already, bringing my total for materials for this project to about $5.27 including tax (shipping and handling were free).The size 8 fits perfectly, with no gapping. I'm planning to wear this to work tomorrow, so I'll post some modeled shots soon. The only thing I would change next time is to perhaps add a bit more length to the shoulder straps. As it is, they're a little short so the bodice is providing support in addition to my underwire bra. I suppose I could get away without a bra at all, actually, with the way the bodice fits. Might be nice for those really humid days of summer that are looming ahead. But not for work tomorrow!
I finished the dress last night and had most of the day today to start a new project, so since I was feeling rather confident, I decided to make my first foray into the world of sewing knits. It may be a disaster since I'm doing the whole thing on a regular sewing machine for lack of a serger, but it seems to be looking okay so far. Here's what I'm working on:
![]() | ![]() |
I'm making the short sleeved version but with the cutaway skirt and collar. The jersey fabric I'm using has been rolling a lot, which has been a big pain but not an insurmountable problem. We'll see how the finished product turns out, and since I'm about halfway finished already, perhaps soon!


No comments:
Post a Comment