I finished Vogue 8555 a few days ago but was just able to get modeled pictures today. I'm really happy with how it turned out!The fit is not exactly perfect, as you can see with the wrinkles radiating from my waist in the picture below, but it's pretty close and allows me to move without constriction. I shouldn't have any problems sitting down in this dress.
The skirt isn't quite as pegged as the illustration on the pattern would lead you to believe. If I make this again (which I might), I might try to peg the hemline a bit more.
The skirt isn't quite as pegged as the illustration on the pattern would lead you to believe. If I make this again (which I might), I might try to peg the hemline a bit more. Here I am being silly while James was taking pictures. I think the colors are more accurate in this picture, because the flowers in the pattern actually borde on turquoise.
Ok, on to the details. The fabric is a stretch cotton poplin from Fabric.com in ivory with turquoise flowers and dark brown leaves and stems. I used about 1.5 yards of the 2 yards in my stash (purchased for $4.19/yard on sale).
Ok, on to the details. The fabric is a stretch cotton poplin from Fabric.com in ivory with turquoise flowers and dark brown leaves and stems. I used about 1.5 yards of the 2 yards in my stash (purchased for $4.19/yard on sale). I originally cut an 8 for the bodice and graded out to a 12 at the waist and a 10 at the hips (my typical sizes), but I ended up taking in the waist quite a bit (probably ended up with a 10 instead). I still have a bit of ease left in the waist that I could happily lose and still be comfortable with, so I might have been able to get away with an 8 there, which is odd because I can't do that with Big 4 skirt patterns or else I end up feeling like I'm wearing a corset. Several other reviews of this pattern have noted that it runs a bit big, but I didn't see that anywhere except the waist. The bust and hip sizes are right on.
I didn't make that many modifications to the pattern or instructions. I did tuck out about 1/2" total at the back neckline, which I have gotten in the habit of doing to avoid gapping in the back (I just tape a small dart in the pattern paper before cutting). I decided not to line the skirt and to just wear a half slip instead so that the material skims over my hips better, but I did use a nude-colored cotton lawn for the bodice lining. I put in an invisible zipper and enclosed the waist seam with seam tape (the turquoise ribbon in the pictures below).
I didn't make that many modifications to the pattern or instructions. I did tuck out about 1/2" total at the back neckline, which I have gotten in the habit of doing to avoid gapping in the back (I just tape a small dart in the pattern paper before cutting). I decided not to line the skirt and to just wear a half slip instead so that the material skims over my hips better, but I did use a nude-colored cotton lawn for the bodice lining. I put in an invisible zipper and enclosed the waist seam with seam tape (the turquoise ribbon in the pictures below).

I didn't want too much bulk in the side seams, so I skipped my usual French seams and went with a turned-under seam instead. I almost always have to shorten Big 4 patterns by 3-4" in the skirt length, but not here. I decided to put in blind hem, which worked pretty well with this poplin.
Overall, I think this was a very successful Christmas project, and I have another fun dress hanging in my closet in anticipation of the hot, humid summers ahead!
Looks great and I love the fabric.
ReplyDeleteHubba Hubba! Love the dress, looks great on you, Mist! James is a great photog with a beautiful model :) Really like this pattern on you. Another dress in this pattern would be a great wardrobe addition - I'm partial :) Love, Mom
ReplyDeleteThat dress looks lovely on you! Great choice for the fabric, and I think the skirt is just right. You did a fantastic job!
ReplyDeleteA very pretty and flattering dress - you have done such a good job.
ReplyDelete